Sunday, March 9, 2008

A 1st (or 47th) Anniversary celebration

This weekend has had glorious sun as well as the usual Seattle grey skies, and an early start for daylight savings time - this is a teaser for the ever-closer spring season. It's a fitting time for the Madrona Fiber Retreat afterglow, which I am still feeling three weeks later. I can still hardly contemplate anything that doesn't have to do with yarn and knitting needles, so I'm inside knitting, my justification for not being outside is that my yard bins are full until yardwaste pickup begins again on Wednesday.


Until last year, I thought of myself as a fairly accomplished knitter since I learned the basics at such an early age. There's nothing like experience and getting to know other knitters to shock me out of my lofty confidence. I now realize that years going by, even if I'm knitting (which I've done only sporadically), didn't give me the experience and new techniques that would contribute to the description of "accomplished."

A new friend, Jen Black (our emergency first night roommate at Madrona) put it well when she described the knitting community deprived area she comes from in Connecticut. She said there are knitters where she lives, but they don't have curiosity about how to do it better, different, or to explore the new techniques and ideas out there. I realize I had not pursued new knowledge, so I didn't know it was out there, and didn't know how much I wanted to look for it.


Then, last year at this time, I saw Naomi carrying some beautiful sock yarn (she was just back from Madrona) and asked her to help me learn to knit socks. I was never interested in knitting socks, but I had been aching to knit something besides a scarf. And sock yarns were so seductive when I allowed myself to enter yarn stores that I finally caved and decided to try them under Naomi's kind tutelage. She also recommended that I join a "Build Your Skills" class loosely structured enough to meet my needs at my skill level and fill in my gaps of knowledge. And, when buying my sock yarn from Ellen at Village, I found the class schedule and tried to sign up for the Build Your Skills class. It was full. But I signed up for the next class in March, and knit my socks while I waited for the class to start.


At class I met our instructor, Rebecca Bienn, and as she deftly troubleshot each student's challenges, my inspiration continued. I brought my stash list to the first class without the least idea of how to decide what to work on. I've continued in the weekly Thursday night class, even showing up at Village with a classmate or two when there is no scheduled class. Now, one year later, the result is that I am continuing to build my skills. And lest I get all full of myself and think I've reached some pinnacle of ability, I'm humbled every two weeks at the fair isle knitting group, Ferals, and by the amazing learning of my friends Naomi, Melinda, and Karen from Jean Wong at the Nihon Vogue course. Right now I don't aspire to the Nihon Vogue level of detail - today I'm thrilled with my custom fitting Top-Down Sweater (unpattern by Karen Alfke) and my newly conquered fear of trying new things. The difference is that I've been working with a "net." By having a knitting community, I've learned the generosity of knitters - most will take the time to share experience and knowledge so I'm trying new techniques and considering patterns I wouldn't have a year ago. A good life lesson, even beyond knitting.

Less contemplation next time, and something about my first Madrona experiences - with photos of my latest projects.

No comments: